Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Bathroom Girl, WHO ARE YOU?


I don’t know about everyone else, but I have a very specific routine that fits in even the most mundane of tasks, such as filling up my water bottle at work or going to the kitchen to get my yogurt/fruit bowl snack. And this is even more exacerbated by the repetitiveness of an 8am-5pm job schedule.

I never REALLY notice how much we are all stuck in a routine until I start running into the same people whenever I do anything. I have a few examples of such encounters:

1.       I’ve started to notice that approx. 80% of the time I use the bathroom at work, there is someone in the far right stall. And I have YET to identify the person because all I ever see are her shoes! Same shoes, same stall, every single day. She’s usually in there when I get to the bathroom, and she’s always still there after I leave. Bathroom girl, WHO ARE YOU?

2.       I go to the kitchen at work pretty much at the same time every single day to cut up some fruit to put in the yogurt that I bring every morning. I do this every single day. While I’m in the kitchen, I usually see the same 4-5 people who are in there at the same time refilling their water bottles or their coffee mugs. They have the same routine as me, apparently.

3.       Whenever I leave my apartment for symphony rehearsal once a week, I always drive past a lady sitting on the second step of a flight of stairs across the street. She is always on the phone and having a cigarette. Same time, same sitting position, every week.

4.       When I go to conditioning class at the TaeKwonDo school, I park in the same place beside the same car every week. As I’m pulling up, the parent is always sitting in the car playing games on her IPad and her kid almost always has just finished class and is walking toward the car. So I have to wait before I can get all the way into the parking spot. Same parking spot, same parent, every week.

Those are just a few of the things I’ve been noticing as I go through the days. Obviously, no days are exactly the same, but little encounters like the ones above show that mostly all of us have some sort of routine ingrained in us that spans from big responsibilities such as waking up and going to work, to little tasks such as refilling our water bottles at the same time every day.
Whaddaya think?

Tooooodlez!

RY

No comments:

Post a Comment