Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Embarrassment or NAH

There was a time when I was afraid of attracting sideways glances and bemused looks from strangers in public. I would get embarrassed if I tripped over a crack in the sidewalk or if my parents said something really loudly in Chinese at the grocery store. Whether or not people do it on purpose, they tend to spin their heads around to see anything that happens out of their “ordinary.” I do it too, so I can’t judge!

It takes a certain level of comfort to NOT get embarrassed about things – or at least, it takes a level of acceptance that life is awkward, clumsy, and loud. I think I’ve finally gotten to that point. People can look all they want…I’m still going to run around and scream with the kids I babysit, do the chicken dance at a bluegrass concert by myself, or take super ridiculous pictures with my sister like a mega-tourist. It is still a work in progress, but I’ve basically resigned to the idea that people are going to look no matter what…so might as well give them something more entertaining to look at!

Plus, if you think about it, when people crane their necks to see what the commotion is about, they most likely are not judging you. More than likely, they already made some sort of snap judgment about you before you even did anything. Instead, they may be genuinely entertained by you, or just want to put a face to the sounds they are hearing.

They probably wish they were as comfortable with being themselves in public…but maybe that’s just what I would like to think.

Life is too short to let potentially hilarious and memorable moments get weighed down by focusing on what other people may think of you!

Toodle dee,

RY

No comments:

Post a Comment