Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Airplane Speed Dating?


Update on the post about flying on airplanes – I did NOT get to rest and relax on either of my two connecting flights because as the luck of the draw would have it, I sat beside two of the chattiest people who both thought their life stories were worthy of taking up my naptime. Indeed, I enjoy learning about people’s adventures and misadventures (which is why I’m so guiltily sucked into reality TV), so it wasn’t the worst thing to engage in conversation with these people. But on my second flight, I even put in my earbuds and the Costa Rican guy still thought it was a great idea to ask me about my opinion on thunderstorms. I mean, really? Thunderstorms?

Then he proceeded to tell me about his entire family. Like, ENTIRE family. Which family members are currently in Virginia, who is currently in Costa Rica, which ones are in the army, which nephew just spoke his first word, etc.

What is it about airplanes that makes people wants to divulge such personal information? That lady on my first flight told me every single detail about every guy she’s seen. The guy on my second flight revealed all the struggles and accomplishments of all of his family members. It’s definitely got something to do with the fleeting nature of air travel – it’s kind of like a one-time therapy session, maybe? It kind of reinforces the fact that everyone around us is dealing with stuff and has some sort of baggage they are carrying around (pun INTENDED). No matter who we sit beside on the plane, they have something they want to get off their chest – it’s just a matter of whether or not they are comfortable doing so. And clearly, these people on my flights this past weekend were VERY comfortable doing so.

TOODLES!!!

RY

No comments:

Post a Comment