Thursday, August 6, 2015

Oklahoma is Really Flat

Summer mini-vaca trip #2--Oklahoma City!

My aunt is a Buddhist nun at one of the largest monasteries in Taiwan, Zhong Tai Zen Monastery. I went there last year on an independent research grant and met with her as we do every time we go back to Taiwan! Last summer, she was transferred to a Zhong Tai branch in OKC called Buddha Mind Monastery, so we went to visit her on a short trip this week.

So we left the house at 2 AM to catch a reallyyyy early flight, traveled for 8 hours, arrived, and went to the monastery. Their monastery is traditional but still Americanized. The architecture was American modern-ish style (I think. I'm not an expert...)and the facilities (i.e. the toilets) were American, but you took your shoes off at the door and wear sandals, they don't turn on A/C, and they turn off all the lights unless it's dark outside or they otherwise need the lights. Side note--I really like that about Asia, turning off lights and having individual room A/C that is turned off when no one needs it because it saves SO much energy and America is extremely wasteful. 

Okay so I know a lot of people think that nuns are a calm, uber religious, zen-and-meditation-doing group that tell you to find inner peace and all that. But RY and I have pretty much grown up around Buddhist nuns since we were little and hahahahaha personally I think my nun aunt is one of the most chill people ever. Chill as in nothing really fazes her (probably the inner peace and meditation required of being a nun, and just that environment in general), but she still loves to laugh and go sight seeing! During my junior year of high school when my mom was in the hospital for three weeks and RY was at school and my dad was at the hospital with my mom, I lived at home with her during that time. A very good time to be had and she was a very nice, relaxing influence on the rest of us, who were running around school/work and the hospital. Nuns are just normal people :) And the four of them at her monastery are very funny ;)

We had a few meals with them, and just for us (since we're relatives and all), they put the tables together and were allowed to talk during the meal. Usually, meals are silent and every faces forward. The food was SO GOOD--they eat vegan (because of the issue of animal cruelty as well as to help the environment) and no onion or garlic but the flavors were amazing. I told my vegetarian friend and she was super jealous :D

The monastery and pretty much all other monasteries around the world have free meditation, vegetarian cooking, and religion classes for the public and are sustained by donations. In that way, all are welcome to take part and aren't restricted by monetary needs. Which I think is fantastic :)


Oklahoma City Bombing Memorial


No comments:

Post a Comment