Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Dat Writer Life Tho


Dating a writer is pretty cool. Is that a good enough adjective? Super cool? Hella cool? I don’t know.. I’m not as advanced of a walking dictionary like he is. But yes, it’s cool to witness the full writing process from a little lightbulb idea to a full-length novel. Before all this, I knew that writing wasn’t simply sitting by the beach sipping a daiquiri with a leather-bound journal, but I suppose I never fully realized the heavy lifting that aspiring authors put themselves through to even have a small glimpse of success on the other end.

It’s not something I used to really think about – when I walked through a Barnes and Noble, I saw zillions of books on the shelves; enough to make it seem like publishing a book is easier done than said. Now, after plenty of lengthy conversations with my writer-boyfriend, I’ve been schooled with a host of do’s and don’ts for writers, long lists of potential barriers, and an inside view of what makes a writer’s mind tick. It’s absolutely fascinating to stand on the brink between the unaware outsider and the life of a budding writer. All of his successes and insecurities become my successes and insecurities, and all I can really do is keep believing in him – which isn’t too hard because he’s the best doggone writer I’ve ever seen (and no, I’m not biased….).

I think the most interesting thing about all this is watching him try to balance his life and make time for everything even when all he wants to do is sit at his desk and pour all of his ideas onto a page. He does a good job – sometimes he needs a pep talk to get him to breathe some fresh air outdoors, but he really is good about knowing that the real world needs him just as much as his characters’ worlds.

All this is to say, I can’t wait to see where his dreams take him. He spends hours and hours researching what he should expect and what will get him further in the industry. He spends even MORE hours creating complex worlds in his stories and tweaking them to make them perfect for him. He’ll probably get super embarrassed that I’ve said all this so I think I’m going to stop now……..

Tooooooooodles

RY

No comments:

Post a Comment