Tuesday, July 21, 2015

You know what's good? 

A huge, piping hot bowl of RAMEN with gyoza (fried dumplings) and white rice on the side. Like, a real bowl of ramen with 醤油 (shoyu - soy sauce base), maybe some giant slabs of チャーシュー or 豚骨 (chashu or tonkotsu pork)...a half-cooked boiled egg cut in half, a heaping pile of 海苔(nori - seaweed). And ALL the rest of the fixin's!!! There are so many different ways to prepare it, and it never has to include a dry pack of 6-cent dried ramen blocks with chicken flavor packs. 

The best thing in Japan is when they give you a ramen "set", which includes a glorious mound of white rice and 6 sizzling gyoza with the humongous bowl of ramen. I have never in my life finished all of that stuff in one sitting, but without the whole set in front of me, I never feel like it's complete. 

In a lot of places around the world, ramen is known as the poor college kid's last resort - breakfast, lunch, dinner, study snack, etc. But in the culinary world, ramen has turned into a foodie's dream meal requiring several days' preparation! 

I miss ramen a lot. And since misery loves company, I thought I'd share some of my favorite pictures I found on the internet so that you can all drool along with me. :)


YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM



This one looks hot and spicy!!!! MMmmmmm



Ramen meal with gyoza and white rice!!!!!!! AAAaaahh




And I couldn't resist putting in this pic of Thomas in a ramen restaurant in East Nashville!! Plus there was bubble tea in a mason jar. I'm so hip.


And with that, I'll sign off for the day! (And eat my sad bowl of oatmeal...)

TOODLES!!

RY

No comments:

Post a Comment