Friday, July 17, 2015

SUCCESS

I read a book by Blake Mycoskie (founder of TOMS shoes) a long, long time ago, and the first page of the book was this quote/poem. The poem is attributed to Ralph Waldo Emerson, but no one actually knows if he said all this. REGARDLESS, it is my favorite quote and I truly do try to live by this every single day. Here goes!

What is Success?

To laugh often and much;

To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;

To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;

To appreciate beauty;
To find the best in others;

To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition;

To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived;

That is to have succeeded.

^There it is! I have never, ever ripped pages from a book in my life other than the time I ripped this page out of Blake Mycoskie's book so I could stick it on my wall in my room. Don't worry, it was my own personal copy!

But seriously, that last part in the poem really, really, really struck a chord with me. "To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived...." I don't claim to be a miracle worker. But if I can be even the most minute force for positive change in SOMEONE'S life, then I have succeeded, even if I don't know it.

This is why I LOVE working with children. I remember every single one of my role models as I was growing up, and I still have role models today. They help shape me into who I am now, and I hope to be that person for every kid I teach, babysit, etc.
I'm trying not to put myself on a soap box (and I hope it doesn't come off that way). I just really LOVE this poem and I thought I would share it. 

Love everyone and be a positive force in the lives of those around you. I always try to remind myself of that. <3

TOODLES FOR NOW!!!!

RY

No comments:

Post a Comment