Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Washing Dishes...So Stress Relieving?

The other day, my dad sent me a TIME article called “Washing Dishes Is a Really Great Stress Reliever.” What a fantastically passive aggressive way to tell me that I should wash dishes more often, eh? J But really, it wasn’t so much about actually washing grimy old dishes, but more about the importance of doing things mindfully.

I’m not the best person at practicing mindfulness and focusing solely on the tasks at hand, but I can understand how it works. On the rare occasion that I actually set aside time to clean my room, I actually find it quite relaxing and satisfying. I pop in some good music, and all I really think about is organizing my room and making things more visually bearable than the usual wreckage.

Another task that I actually enjoy doing is mowing the lawn…strange, right? Mowing the lawn means that no one bothers me for the 40 minutes when the engine is whirring loudly and it looks like I’m too busy for anyone’s business.  Again, I put on my headphones and tune everything out. It’s pretty satisfying to walk back and forth along the grass and see the leveled grass behind me as I mow. I give myself time to do a thorough job and not rush it. I think that’s probably part of the mindfulness – taking simple tasks, doing it with intention, and allowing myself to feel the satisfaction of completing it.

It’s a nice thing to try to do sometimes, if not every day. Life can feel like such a blur if we let all of our responsibilities zoom by. We have to take things one at a time and allow ourselves to be consumed with them as we check things off our to-do lists. Similarly, we have to embrace the leisure moments as well – when we go out with friends and family, focus on having a good time with them instead of checking Twitter to see what we COULD be doing instead. There is a time for everything!

Better said than done, eh? One step at a time. J

Toodle doodle,

RY.
P.S. Here is the link to the article.

No comments:

Post a Comment