Tuesday, November 24, 2015

How to NOT Make Your Brain Explode with Stuff

Ever since my family and I went to China in 2002 for a semester, I’ve recorded my life in a diary. It all started when mom forced RL and me to write in a journal every single day in China, which we both considered to be the most pointless and un-cool activity in the entire world. However, even after we got back to the States, I continued writing. It was definitely not consistent – I would pick up the journal sometimes after having not written for a year at a time, but nowadays, I still have upwards of about ten diaries since that China trip in ’02!

Whenever I fall off the diary wagon, I feel like my thoughts and feelings get cooped up in my head. At some point, I feel like my diary is screaming at me to write it all down, so I’ll climb out of bed before falling asleep and just write, write, write. It’s therapeutic! It still kind of sounds lame that I write in a diary, but this is definitely not a cutesy “Dear Diary” kind of thing for me. I write everything I’m feeling – anger, love, frustrations, fears – and nobody else (hopefully) will ever read it.

Well, now that I’ve written about my diaries in a blog post, it is no longer a secret that I have diaries all over the place! I’ve always wondered what would happen to my diaries if I suddenly disappeared…would people actually open them and read all of my deepest, darkest thoughts? Umm…can I go on record and say that I need them DESTROYED immediately.

The fun thing about the diaries is that I can go back and read years and years’ worth of learning, maturing, and journeying through life. It is so hilarious to read how angry I used to get at the most senseless things, and how many moments felt like the worst moments of my life at the time. A lot of the diary entries make me so annoyed at myself for being so dramatic! But still, it’s life, and I got through it all, ya know??

Anyway, it’s never too late to start documenting life in a diary. It feels so good to handwrite my thoughts onto paper, and look back at the good, bad, and ugly times!

Toodle doo,

RY

No comments:

Post a Comment